Monday, October 20, 2008

Lifeguard

Anger is who I was. The road I traveled until that age was a road defined by the choices my parents made for themselves. I was, shall I say, "collateral damage" of a war that existed and continued for many years. Left off to the side, hurt and not understood, I began to die within myself. I was too young for anyone to hear me, even though I was screaming out in so many ways.

She was my lifeguard, sent by the ultimate Saviour. She came into my life at the very moment I was about to drown in the circumstances of life. She wrapped her arms around me, guided me to safety, and watched over me until I was able to walk on my own. There is not another friend who goes farther back in my past or is rooted deeper in my heart. I am a person of substance and worth because she validated my existance. It is hard to put into words exactly how I revere her, it is a language that comes from so deep within me. I believe it is a small corner of my entire being that was planted and cultivated by her. Simply put, yet so complex to imagine, she spoke life into my soul.

The laughter in my childhood is so overshadowed by the chaos, that I have barely a memory of a smile until the time God brought her into my life. From that day to this, I have found happiness in life, and am able to recount many times of laughter. There is a reason for everything that happens in life, God is the master artist, and the outcome of this chance meeting has created a masterpiece of beauty in my life. To Him I will ever be thankful for sending my lifeguard just in time.

"Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel." Proverbs 27:9

No comments: