Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Bigger Picture; A New Years Resolve


Isaiah 61:1-3
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
 instead of mourning
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor."   




Today I put pen to paper.  The old fashioned way....the way that allows my heart to speak through the illustration of cursive writing and scratched out sentences.  And as I do, the picture being painted mirrors the story of the year gone bye.

With the beauty of the connecting letters, I see how one leads to another and soon their togetherness has kept them going until a thought is complete or a sentence finished.  That is precisely the way we make it through life, isn't it?  One step leads to another and another, and soon we have walked a path that has lead us to where we are. And in the ugliness of the mess ups and the scratched out mistakes we see the beauty of the moments.

There have been moments in the past year that have been created by love and laughter, by trial and struggle, by support and friendship, by fear and uncertainty, all woven together to bring me to this day.  Often times on the first day of the new year I declare that the year ahead will be better than the one before, but in looking back through the glass of time, today I see things differently and I am looking ahead through a different lens.

While there were roads I would have rather not had to travel these last months...there are far more I am happy I have. This year I have seen the Goodness of God abound above the circumstances of life.  I have been witness to His Character of Light, in Him whom is no darkness.  I have been subject to His Grace and the Empowerment that it brings.  I have been humbled by His Mercy, and the Favor and Blessings that flow from it.  I am standing because His Love surrounded me.

The Sovereignty of God says that He has my life, your life, everything under His control.  He is the beginning and the end, There is nothing too difficult for Him, He is above and before all things, He knows all things, He created all things and holds them together. Today, I am choosing to focus more on the bigger picture than the scratches and mess ups on the path to getting there. The beauty of the outcome depends upon the lessons learned between the connecting of the letters. Today, I am declaring that this year be marked by things of ETERNAL VALUE, and influence for the Kingdom...things that bring Him Glory and bring more to Salvation.  After all....that truly is the Biggest Picture being painted....

No comments: